Important Producer Notices
To become an insurance producer you must complete the following requirements.
- Complete the pre-licensing requirement of 20 hours per line of authority; 7.5 of the 20 hours must be completed in a classroom setting i.e. life, Accident/Health, Fire (Property) Casualty, Personal Lines – Fire (Property) and Casualty. The only exception is Motor Vehicle of which 12.5 hours of pre-licensing and 5 hours must be in the classroom setting.
Here is a link to our Education provider look-up up where you can find a certified provider. http://www.statebasedsystems.com/solar/index.html
- Once you have completed your pre-licensing requirement you may then take the insurance examination. Please take a copy of your proof of completion for your pre-licensing course to the test center, you will not be allowed to sit for the exam without it.
- Please review the Insurance Licensing Examination Candidate Handbook . The handbook describes how, when and where to apply for the producer examination.
- When you pass the licensing examination you will be given your pass sheet along with an instruction sheet by the test administrator, Pearson VUE. Carefully read the instruction sheet and retain for your records. If you fail the exam, Pearson VUE will provide the results and the procedures to arrange for another exam.
- VERY IMPORTANT - Please wait five (5) days after passing your exam, at that time you will be able to apply online at www.nipr.com. Here are step by step directions to help you with the application process.
You MUST wait 5 days after passing your exam, to apply for your license.
Illinois is using the last day of your birth month as your expiration date and the fee paid for licensure through NIPR will be prorated for the birth month expiration date.
Once you have completed the application process through NIPR and you have received an e-mail from them that is was a successful transaction your application will be submitted to Illinois.
Effective 8-1-2012, Illinois now requires that you apply for your license electronically. Please see the company bulletin at http://insurance.illinois.gov/cb/2012/CB2012-02.pdf
Uniform application for Individual Producer License/Registration
An insurance producer who places insurance either directly or indirectly with an insurer with which the insurance producer does not have an agent contract must maintain in force while licensed a bond in favor of the people of the State of Illinois executed by an authorized surety company and payable to any party injured under the terms of the bond. The bond shall be continuous in form and in the amount of $2500 or 5% of the premiums brokered in the previous calendar year whichever is greater, but not to exceed $50,000 total aggregate liability. Such bond should remain at the place of business however the producer must provide the information within 3 working days after receiving a request, should the information be requested.